If you are a technology startup creating innovative products and solutions in Electronics or Information Technology domain, we recommend you to avail the benefits of the new initiative by the Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India.
While we have talked about the importance of patents for startups several times like “Patent value for startups” and “Patent value for startups: key barrier to competitors”, the recently announced scheme by the Government of India serves as icing on the cake.
This certainly is the best opportunity for the startup community to take steps at protecting their innovative products and solutions in India and abroad and at the same time avail financial support for filing patents from the Government in the form of reimbursement.
Below we tell you the who, how, when and what of this scheme:
Who is eligible?
- Registered Indian Micro, Small and Medium enterprises.
- Enterprises engaged in the manufacture or production of goods where the investment in plant and machinery does not exceed Rs.10.00 crore or
- Providing or rendering of services the scheme will be restricted to enterprises where the investment in plant and machinery does not exceed Rs.5.00 crore.
- In-house R&D Certification by DSIR or
- Technology Incubation enterprises registered as companies with support under some government scheme
How to apply?
Eligible applicants are required to submit the following to the concerned department
- Support for International Patent Application form. Click here to download the application form
- Copy of Patent search report
- Product Brochure
- Copy of Registration with SSI or Ministry of Industry
- Copy of official filing with Indian Patent office or prior permission for filing Internationally
- Latest annual report of the company
- DSIR Registration certificate / Proof of Government supported incubation Enterprise
- Original copy / copies of receipt and invoice if payment made for filing International Patent
- Declaration (as given in the application form)
When am I supposed to apply?
When you meet the following criteria:
- Patent application for the said invention should be filed in Indian patent office by the applicant.
- The invention must be from the field of electronics/ ICT
- The applicant should get their patent applications processed through a registered patent attorney having at least 5 years experience in handling international patent applications.
- A prior art search report from a International search authority(ISA)/ registered attorney firm or any other agency of repute should accompany the patent application.
- The applicant can apply for the support at any stage of international filing. However, reimbursement will only be applicable to expenditures incurred subsequent to the date on which application has been cleared for support. Click here to download the reimbursement form
What will I/ My company get?
The government will reimburse costs up to a limit of Rs. 15 lakhs for each patent application filing. Technology ventures that have an annual budget below 10 crores for R&D can make use of this scheme.The scheme also covers patent processing costs including attorneys’ Fees, patent office filing fees, examination fees, patent search cost, additional cost for entering National Phase upto grant/issue.
How can Inolyst help?
As a specialized IP consulting company with special interest in startup community of India, we offer you services of:
- Prior art search report
- Drafting the patent application
- Filing the patent application in India and abroad
- Trademark Filing & prosecution