The “National Awards for Commercializable Patents” has been instituted by TIFAC under its TREMAP programme. The award recognizes the innovative potential of Indian Nationals as well as Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) who have developed innovations relevant to the industrial and societal needs. This initiative has been introduced with a view to make more innovative products available to the society.
The objective is to help commercialization of patented technologies, especially those which could not be commercialized so far (in spite of having good commercial potential) due to lack of resources and expertise with the inventors.
The award will carry a sum of Rs. 5.00 lacs and a certificate. In addition, selected innovations may be provided an incentive of Rs. 5.00 lacs on commercialization of the awarded patents. The selected innovators may also use the TREMAP network for commercialization / transfer / licensing of the patented technologies.
Quick pointers on the award, procedure, eligibility, selection criteria and timelines:
- Three tier selection procedure
- Internal Screening
- Technical Committee (alongwith comments from subject experts)
- High Level Selection Committee (Innovators’ Presentation)
- Indian National OR MSME’s are eligible
- Indian patent must have been granted
- The year of grant of patent should not be before the year 2010
- The technology to have good commercial application / value
- The working model / prototype should be ready
- The patents already transferred / commercialized are excluded
- Patents related to herbal, healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology etc. requiring long term trials / testing and pure software products / technologies and patents relating to strategic sector (space, nuclear, arms and armaments etc.) are excluded
- Release of Advertisement by TIFAC: 22nd June 2013
- Last Date of Receipt of Applications: 14th August 2013
- First level of screening: 31st Aug 2013
- Second level of screening: 30th October 2013
- Third level of screening: 31st December 2013
- Award Function: 10th Feb. 2014 (TIFAC Day)
Click here to download detailed guidelines.
Click here to download application format for patents granted in the name of individual(s)
Click here to download application format for patents granted in the name of MSME’s